Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Week 14 - Reading Notes - Francis and Thomas Jataka Tales Part A

The Little Gildmaster:
I think this is one of the few stories where the former incarnation is human and not animal. I liked seeing the necessity of relationship building to complete the task, rather than just finding money somewhere to pay the workers. 

King Makhadeva's Grey Hairs:
I will never not be confused by how long certain types of characters lifespans are in both the epics and the tales. It seems like humans should have normal life spans and then other creatures should be immortal but everything just seems very inconsistent. I’m curious whether there is an actual system to how old these characters are supposed to be or if it is all just random. 


The Feast For The Dead
If sacrificing the goat was part of a religious ordeal, why was there a punishment associated with it? And shouldn't the punishment rest on the person who ordered that goats be used in sacrifice, rather than the person forced to make the sacrifice?

The Discontented Ox:
I thought this version of the Ox and Pig story was fun because the authors created a little bit more backstory with the upcoming wedding. I didn't realize it was the same Jataka I read before until I was halfway through it. This particular story continues to be one of my favorites. I may try to somehow incorporate it into my Kamadeva story this week. 

The Peacock's Wooing:

Peacock
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Peacock_feathers_close.jpg



I get that the lesson of this one was "don't be a show off" but I still don't like that bird dad told his daughter she could marry whoever she wanted and then changed his mind.Bad form bird dad. Also I don't like that the original author's underlying message appears to be "dads pick a marriage for your daughter because she will choose wrong if you let her do it herself."



Bibliography
H.T. Francis and E.J. Thomas, Jataka Tales, Part A







No comments:

Post a Comment