Monday, December 4, 2017

Week 14 - Extra Reading Notes - Francis and Thomas Jataka Tales Part B

The Pigeon and the Crow
 - This one was really interesting and a little disturbing in how detailed the crow's punishment ended up being. I can see how these stories could be used as moral warning bells for young children. 


The Foolish Friend
 - This might have been the weirdest Jataka I have read so far, and it might also be the shortest. It seems like a really extreme narrative to convey the message to choose smart friends.

The Stupid Monkeys
 -Sidenote: I'm curious if there is any consistency or methodology to how many Jataka's there are. If each Jataka is part of one of Budha's reincarnations how many incarnations has he had? Is there any set number of lives he is suppossed to have lived or are the Jatakas just created at random and have been coalesced together.
 - I thought this story was very interesting because I think it paints a good picture of how information is ofter received and disseminated and the problems that a lack of clarity can cause.

Great King Goodness
 - This was a really weird story because at first the morality that it preaches seems to be in contrast with the morality of the epics that I read. It kept me on my toes as I wondered whether the king would ever strike back or if the story was setting him up to be a martyr.

The Brahmin's Spell
 - I really like all the little 4 line poems/proverbs in these Jataka's. I did not notice them in some of the other stories and since these are on average a little longer than the earlier Jataka's that I read it is nice to have some variation.

The Value of a Brother
I thought this was a really interesting spin on the suppossed words of Rama. I liked that they had the main character be a woman. Her logic was sound even though I think if I were the spouse or child I would be a little annoyed. 




Bibliography
H.T. Francis and E.J. Thomas, Jataka Tales, Part B

2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth,

    I really have loved reading these Jakata stories so I am glad to see that other students in the class have also taken advantage of them. I like how they are all pretty short but still serve a good purpose in their little amount of words. I also have liked the different characters that go along with them. Have a great break!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth. I have like the Jataka stories way more than anything else we have read in this class. I have only done Jatakas for my reading notes for the past few weeks that we have had free choice. I a couple of the stories that you took notes over for this post also. I like that they are nice and short and also usually have a good lesson.

    ReplyDelete