Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Week 15 - Reading Notes - Francis and Thomas Jataka Tales Part C


The Great Dreams
 - There is an interesting parallel between this story of a powerful man having dreams that need to be interpreted and the biblical story of Pharaoh and Joseph. I always wonder when I reading these stories how much knowledge the authors had of biblical literature. 
 - Also 16 dreams is just excessive. Definetely could have done with fewer dreams.

The Valiant Dwarf
 - I love that Bhudda is not incarnated as a perfect version of whatever creature (human, animal, otherwise) he currently resides as. It is an interesting reflection on both the culture and the author that the story features Bhudda as a dwarf and that it is remarked that Bhudda knew he would be discriminated against because of that. 

The Stolen Jewels
 - I think it is interesting that Bhudda immediately realizes that it was a monkey that stole the jewels. After figuring out that the five men had nothing to do with it I would have immediately thought that the female slave had just stolen it and blamed someone else. 

The Too-Clever Merchant
 - This story is one the weirdest ones that I have read so far. I thought it was strange that Wise was fitting for Bhudda but Wisest was not for the other merchant. It would seem that these people should have been more careful naming their kids. 

The Three Fishes
Three Fishes
wikimedia.org



 - I continue to be very confused by the naming choices. If a fish is very thoughtful it would logical mean that it should not be one of the lazy fishes. 

The Hypocritical Jackal
 - I had read this story towards the beginning of the semester in one of the earlier readings I think. I still really like it but I think I like the other version better. 

The Grateful Mouse
 - I think that it is interesting that the women loved gold so much that she was reborn as a mouse and as a mouse she grew to love someone more than money and wanted to share with him. 











Bibliography
H.T. Francis and E.J. Thomas, Jataka Tales, Part C

No comments:

Post a Comment